Green Salad Ingredients:
Choose what you like from the following list, and add your own variations
- Salad greens, rinsed and dried: Lettuce torn into bite sized pieces, baby spinach, arugula, mixed salad greens, kale, etc.
- alfalfa sprouts, sunflower sprouts
- artichoke hearts
- tomato slices or cherry tomatoes
- cucumber slices
- avocado cut into 3/4″ cubes
- shredded carrot
- shredded red cabbage
- bell pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
- olives, pitted, and sliced if desired
- sliced or diced onions
- sliced radishes
- chopped fresh herbs, whole basil leaves
- nuts: sunflower seeds, walnuts, or pecans
- dried cherries, cranberries or raisins
- sun dried tomatoes
- cooked sweet corn kernels
- crumbled feta cheese, soy cheese
- crumbled tofu
- cooked black beans, garbanzo beans or kidney beans
- Fried cubes of tempeh, tofu, etc
Lemon and Oil Dressing Ingredients:
- 2T fresh lemon juice
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t dried basil
- 1/2 t dried marjoram
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 1-2 cloves crushed garlic, if desired
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/8 t black pepper
- Place salad greens in a bowl twice the size needed to hold the salad (this will make tossing it easier.)
- Choose and prepare 5-9 other salad ingredients from the list, try to create a pleasing mix of tastes, colors and textures.
- Arrange your chosen salad ingredients on top of the greens
- If all the salad will be eaten right away, dress the salad.
- If you will be storing some salad for later, dress the individual servings, since an undressed salad stores better.
- Toss and serve.